3-11 September 2021 @ the Doncaster Playhouse
Featuring more than 20 hit Queen songs, We Will Rock You follows two revolutionaries as they try to save Rock in a dystopian world. The musical tells the story of a group of Bohemians who struggle to restore the free exchange of thought, fashion, and live music in a distant future where everyone dresses, thinks, and acts the same. Musical instruments and composers are forbidden, and rock music is all but unknown. Songs include “Another One Bites the Dust,” “Bohemian Rhapsody,” “Killer Queen,” “Somebody to Love,” “We Will Rock You,” “We Are the Champions,” and many more
Directed by Renée Maloney
Vocally Directed by Kristyn Adamopoulos
Band Directed by Peter Verhagen
- Please prepare two contrasting contemporary songs showcasing your vocal range.
- One song must be specific to the character you are auditioning for and the other showing your range. For example Scaramouche – Somebody to Love, Brit – I Want It All, Khasshoggi – Seven Seas, KQ – Fat Bottomed Girls
- Please be aware that due to time being very limited, you may not complete your song, so choose an appropriate starting point.
- Sheet music to be provided in the correct key. Backing tracks and Acapella not allowed. However, you may choose to accompany yourself.
- A headshot must be provided at the audition
- Arrive early to prepare. Please be patient in case we are running behind and have your music ready in a folder so you can go through your song with the audition pianist before you enter the room.
- Part of the audition may require a vocal range test and a dialogue read (these will be available upon booking your audition)
- Call Backs will be for voice and dialogue and will be held in the room as a workshop with all the other callbacks for that role
Audition Booking: firstname.lastname@example.org
Audition Venue: Phoenix HQ – 105 Leeds Street, East Doncaster
Dance Audition Sunday 25th April 6-7pm
Vocal Auditions Sunday 25th April 7pm-9pm
Callbacks: Will be after vocal auditions on Sunday 25th April
Rehearsal Info: First Rehearsal – Wednesday 28th April 2021
Rehearsal Days – Monday and Wednesday (7:30pm – 10.30pm) and
Sunday (1:00pm – 5:30)
All ages are approximate and based on look, not actual age.
Some roles are filled due to previous casting pre-COVID
Female. Age: late teens/early 20s.
She is also a young misfit, with a sharp wit who keeps Galileo on his toes. Eventually they fall for each other. Vocally, a strong rock mezzo belt voice is required.
Female. Age: late 20s – 40s.
She is a ruthless business woman, powerful, tough and glamorous with a strong stage presence. She has sass and controls every situation around her. A dynamic, strong character. Vocally, a very powerful, strong mezzo belt with the capacity and vocal stamina for a hard rock edge is required.
Male. Age: 30 upwards.
Khashoggi works for the Killer Queen. He is the embodiment of a future techno corporate stooge. High Baritone or Tenor.
Male. Age: late teens to 30s.
“Brit” is short for Britney Spears, which is ironic as Brit is the antithesis of Britney’s form of pop. Brit of one of the Bohemian rebels who believe that there is a true musical style that can conquer the corporate ga-ga sound. High Baritone or Tenor with a rock edge.
The ensemble is a critical part of the show and play various cameo roles throughout. There will be a mix of very strong dancers, strong rock/theatre singer-movers and character ensemble parts amongst the Bohemian rebels. Much of the story is told through the atmosphere and locations set by the ensemble’s movement, so the ability to be a risk-taking, creative, receptive and flexible group member is critical.
The ensemble will be required to play multiple characters which include:
● Ga-Ga Kids / Teen Queens: Living in a highly modified, prescribed soulless consumer world
● Rebels: Outcasts driven by an underground fight against GlobalSoft and its leader Killer Queen
● Secret Police: Faceless, soulless stooges that work to the bidding of Killer Queen and Khashoggi
● Super Yuppies, Doctors, Youth of the Future, Teacher